JAMESTOWN, N.C. — Polish your resume and dress to impress. Guilford Technical Community College will be hosting its annual Spring Job Fair 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 18 at Medlin Campus Center on GTCC’s Jamestown Campus, 601 E. Main Street. The event is FREE for all job seekers, including GTCC students, alumni and the general public. Don’t miss this opportunity to network with more than 85 employers in the Triad.
Last year’s event drew more than 3,000 applicants and more than 85 prospective employers. This year’s participating employers span a wide range of fields from diesel mechanics and advanced manufacturing to medical assisting and customer service.
“Our job fair provides a great opportunity for job seekers to connect with organizations and discover new opportunities,” said Dan Grigg, career advisor at GTCC and job fair organizer. “It’s a chance to market yourself and to make a great first impression that could potentially lead to something bigger.”
If you’re new to the job fair circuit and not sure what to expect, GTCC will be offering FREE in-person and online workshops to help you prepare. The following sessions will be offered on March 11:
Online session (noon–1 p.m.): http://bit.ly/1H7Cjdw
In-person sessions: Noon–1 p.m. and 5–6 p.m.
• Jamestown Campus (601 E. Main St.), Percy H. Sears Applied Technologies, Auditorium
• Greensboro Campus (3505 E. Wendover Ave.), Continuing Education, Room 152-C
• High Point Campus (901 S. Main St.), H4, Room 102
In addition, Grigg offers the following tips:
• Bring Plenty of Resumes — Use reader-friendly bullet points describing your skills and past experiences
• Dress to Impress — No matter what type of job you are applying for go above and beyond to get an employer’s attention
• Research Participating Companies — For a list of participating employers and their recruiting needs visit www.gtcc.edu/job-fair.
• Sales Pitch — Prepare a 30-second pitch selling your skills relevant to the job you want
• Be Selective —Identify the top employers (and the location of their booths) that you want to meet with first. Reserve your energy for those employers first.
• Early Bird Catches the Worm — Arrive early to make sure you have enough time to meet with all of the employers on your list
• Don’t Loot the Booth — Don’t take too many of the employers’ promotional items
• Wear Comfortable Shoes — You’ll be on your feet a lot, so make sure you’re comfortable
• Tone Down the Perfume/Cologne — Do not do anything to distract the employer’s attention from your skills and positive attitude
• Be Positive — 70% of all applicants are hired through positive networking, so do not get discouraged!
For additional information, visit www.gtcc.edu/job-fair.
What: Guilford Technical Community College’s Spring 2015 Job Fair
When: 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Wednesday, March 18
Where: Ground level and first floor of Medlin Campus Center, GTCC’s Jamestown Campus, 601 E. Main Street
Registration for employers: The registration fee for employers is $200. Registration deadline is 5 p.m. March 12. Space is limited. Register at www.gtcc.edu/job-fair.
Information: Contact GTCC Student Success Specialist/Career Advisor Dan Grigg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guilford Technical Community College is the third largest of 58 institutions in the North Carolina Community College System. GTCC serves more than 40,000 students annually from five campuses and a Small Business Center. Learn more at www.gtcc.edu.
— Carla Kucinski/GTCC
— Published March 9, 2015