FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MAY 28, 2015
JAMESTOWN, N.C. — The State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) Foundation has awarded six Guilford Technical Community College students with an SECU Continuing Education Scholarship, each valued at $750. The scholarship recognizes students enrolled in the Nursing Assistant I Training Program and Quick Careers Training Programs (Medical Interpreter – Spanish/English Training; Pharmacy Technician Training; and Welding Training).
The scholarship recipients are:
• Katherine Latta Atkinson (Greensboro), Nursing Assistant I training
• Agatha Kristin Collier (Greensboro), Nursing Assistant I training
• Ruth Lindsay Watkins (Greensboro), Nursing Assistant I training
• Tarrish Lamar Alexander (Greensboro), Quick Careers Pharmacy Technician training
• Frank Little, Jr. (Gibsonville), Nursing Assistant I training
• James Lewis Mitchell, Jr. (Greensboro), Nursing Assistant I training
“The SECU Continuing Education Scholarship will assist our students in embarking on a new career and improving their future,” said Lisa Cozart, interim director of occupational training at GTCC. “
Launched in 2013, the scholarship program focuses on assisting the needs of North Carolina’s unemployed and underemployed citizens, military veterans and members of the North Carolina National Guard seeking short-term job training for new careers or retraining to advance current job skills. Scholarship funding will be applied to tuition and other expenses associated with their eligible program of study through the N.C. Community College System’s Quick Careers Training Program and continuing education courses.
Guilford Technical Community College is the third largest of 58 institutions in the North Carolina Community College System. GTCC serves more than 40,000 students annually from five campuses and a Small Business Center. Learn more at www.gtcc.edu.
— Carla Kucinski/GTCC