SECU TO AWARD 5 CONTINUING EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 16, 2017
JAMESTOWN, N.C. — The Financial Aid Office at Guilford Technical Community College is now accepting applications for the 2016-2017 State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) Foundation Continuing Education Scholarship.
Ten scholarships worth $750 each will be awarded to students enrolled in Continuing Education training at GTCC during the 2016-2017 academic year. The scholarships can be used to pay for educational expenses such as registration fees, books, certification fees and course supplies. These are reimbursement scholarships awarded upon successful completion of a training program.
In fall 2016, five scholarships were given to students who were enrolled in Nursing Assistant I training. The remaining five scholarships will be awarded to students enrolled in one of the following Continuing Education courses in spring 2017:
- Nursing Assistant
- Quick Careers (Apartment Maintenance Technician, Global Logistics Associate, HVAC Refrigeration Technician, Pharmacy Technician, MIG Welding).
To be considered for this scholarship program, an individual must:
- Be a U.S. citizen and a North Carolina resident.
- Be in one of the following target groups: unemployment insurance claimants, unemployed & underemployed adults, members of the N.C. National Guard, or military veterans and spouses. Note: Underemployed will be defined as individuals earning 200 percent below the federal poverty level.
- Be enrolled in a short-term training program (96 hours or more) that leads to a state-regulated or industry-recognized credential that is offered through Continuing Education.
- Not be a director, employee or family member of an employee of the State Employees’ Credit Union or SECU Foundation.
- Preference will be given to students with limited or no access to financial aid from other programs.
- Students should only be awarded one CE SECU Foundation scholarship within a funding year.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must fill out an application http://conedhome.gtcc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2016/08/SECU-Application.pdf and submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the GTCC Financial Aid Office, second floor, Medlin Campus Center, GTCC’s Jamestown Campus, 601 E. Main St., Jamestown.
All applications will be reviewed by a scholarship selection committee. Scholarship recipients will receive an award letter from the college with instructions for accepting the scholarship funds.
Completed applications for the spring 2017 term scholarships will be due no later than March 3, 2017. Scholarship recipients will be announced by March 31, 2017.
For more information, please contact GTCC’s Financial Aid Office at email@example.com.
SECU Scholarship Background
In 2012, the SECU Foundation established a Continuing Education Scholarship Program to help remove financial barriers for students seeking to gain new or upgrade current job-related skills.
Annually, the SECU Foundation will provide a total of 580 scholarships — 10 scholarships at $750 each to all 58 community colleges in North Carolina.
Guilford Technical Community College is the fourth largest of 58 institutions in the NC Community College System. GTCC serves more than 40,000 students annually from five campuses and a Small Business Center. Learn more at www.gtcc.edu.