JAMESTOWN, N.C. — The Financial Aid Office at Guilford Technical Community College is now accepting applications for the spring 2015 State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) Foundation Continuing Education Scholarship.
Seven scholarships worth $750 each will be awarded to students enrolled in Continuing Education training at GTCC during the spring 2015 academic semester. The scholarships can be used to pay for registration fees, books, certification fees, course supplies and other educational expenditures encumbered by the students.
Four scholarships will be given in spring 2015 to students who are currently enrolled or will be enrolling in Nursing Assistant I training. In addition, three scholarships will be given in spring 2015 to three students who are currently enrolled or will be enrolled in the following Quick Careers Training courses:
- Medical Interpreter – Spanish/English Training
- Pharmacy Technician Training
- Welding Training
SECU Scholarship Background
In 2012, the SECU Foundation established a Continuing Education Scholarship Program to help remove financial barriers for students seeking to gain new or upgrade current job-related skills.
Annually, the SECU Foundation will provide a total of 580 scholarships – 10 scholarships at $750 each to all 58 community colleges in North Carolina.
To be considered for this scholarship program, an individual must:
- Be a U.S. citizen and a North Carolina resident.
- Be in one of the following target groups: unemployment insurance claimants, unemployed & underemployed adults, members of the N.C. National Guard, or military veterans and spouses. Note: Underemployed will be defined as individuals earning 200 percent below the federal poverty level. Preference will be given to students with limited or no access to financial aid from other programs.
- Be enrolled in a short-term training program that leads to a state-regulated or industry-recognized credential that is offered through Continuing Education.
- Not be a director, employee or family member of an employee of the State Employees’ Credit Union or SECU Foundation.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must fill out an application (http://www.gtcc.edu/secu) and submit it:
- In person at Enrollment Services, located on the second floor of Medlin Campus Center on GTCC’s Jamestown Campus, 601 E. Main St., Jamestown
- Or by email to email@example.com.
All applications will be reviewed by a scholarship selection committee. Scholarship recipients will receive an award letter from the college with instructions for accepting the scholarship funds.
Completed applications for the spring 2015 scholarships will be due no later than Jan. 23, 2015. Scholarship recipients will be announced after February 25, 2015.
For more information, please contact GTCC’s Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guilford Technical Community College is the third largest of 58 institutions in the NC Community College System. GTCC serves more than 40,000 students annually from five campuses and a Small Business Center. Learn more at www.gtcc.edu.
— Carla Kucinski/GTCC